Thursday, April 29, 2010

Grub: Chicken and Cous Cous Salad

Okay okay, I admit the intention of this part of the blog is so that I push my self to cook more! I haven't been such a good wife in regards to making delicious, healthy dinners for my man and I. For the most part, I blame my teaching and crazy schedule. It had gotten to a point where we were eating convenient and tasty Kashi pizzas 3 days in a row for dinner. I know... slap on the hand (but those are darn good if you haven't tried)! 
Anyway, my goal is to make a new dish at least once a week and this blog will surely help keep me accountable! Instead of posting the professional photo from the site, I'll post my own just so you have proof I'm sticking to my plan! 

This week I made a very tasty and fresh salad, chicken and cous cous. It's wonderful for summer bbqs or pot-lucks. We had plenty leftover for lunch the next day. (I was so happy when Eddie came home from work and asked if we had any left! That'll be my test to see if he really did like it!!) 

Serves: 4
Salad Ingredients:
1  1/4 cups fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
1 (5.7 oz) box uncooked couscous
1 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken (6 oz)
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/2 cup diced radishes (about 3 large)
1/2 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons pine nuts

Dressing Ingredients:  
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tspn ground cumin (I didn't have any and it still tasted fine)
1/2 tspn salt
1/8 tspn freshly grounded black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced

Prep:
Bring broth to boil in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Spoon couscous into a large bowl; cool. Add chicken, onions, radishes, cucumber, parsley and pine nuts; toss gently to combine. 
To prepare dressing, combine vinegar and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss to combine. 

Note: You can toast the pine nuts in a dry skillet over medium/high heat. Stir frequently, as soon as they become fragrant, remove nuts from the pan. We warmed up a few pieces of pita bread as well!  : )

(Recipe courtesy of Cooking Light)

No comments:

Post a Comment